Boreal Club

Anything about running

Question to Coach - Runner's Knee

Question to Coach - Runner's Knee

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 am

Good morning everyone,

This is mainly a question for the coach but anyone with some knowledge/experience on this please provide any information.

Since my last track workout I started having pain on my left knee, the only change I have done lately has been my shoes - bought a pair of ON Cloudflow :D....Anyways, by the end of the track workout I felt some pain but not too bad, afterwards I did not run for a week and as I came back from vacation went for a 20k to Mont Royal and since then I can barely move my left knee. Today I tried to jog a bit since it felt better and after just a few hundred meters I had to stop. I believe is runners knee since I feel my muscles very tight.

How can I get rid of this asap?? I cannot run and I am missing it..Plus...the guys will pass me like planes next time I go to the track!

Thanks,
Reynaldo

Re: Question to Coach - Runner's Knee

Postby judi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi Reynaldo,

I am also "off" running because of a knee issue. I think it started when I landed with quite a thud on the sidewalk when running. I have been able to swim and go on the elliptical machine without major problems. So have been cross-training.

I think the important thing is to get a proper diagnosis because there can be different issues with the knee, depending on where it hurts and under what conditions it hurts. I have an appointment with a physio tomorrow and hopefully will get some answers. If your knee does not improve, I would get someone (a sports medicine doctor, a physio, etc) to take a look and give you some suggestions on how to improve your knee problem.

Would love to hear what other people think!

PS Not being able to run is HARD!!! We are runners and when we can't run, it feels like such a loss.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
judi

Postby paul » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Hey Rey,

I've been having knee trouble lately as well - but in both knees, which leads me to believe I'm simply out of shape, heavier, and haven't been running enough.

Having said that, L-Glutamine seems to be helping after a week and a half. After the trail race about 10 days ago, I could barely sit in the car on the way home, but it's feeling better as time goes by with the L-G. I'll also admit I had a couple of acetaminophen right after I got home that day, but nothing but L-G since.

I'm guessing some yoga wouldn't hurt either (unless you're Laura...)
Nice guys aren't even in the race
paul

Postby judi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 am

Hey, Paul

l-glutamine or glucosamine?
judi

Postby paul » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 pm

L-Glutamine
paul

Postby laura » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 am

l-glutamine is great!
thanks David...
laura

Postby judi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm

l-glutamine...had never heard of it until Paul posted.
I am going to look into it. 3 weeks since my fall and it still hurts to run.
Reynaldo, how are you doing?
judi

Postby paul » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Some sites on knee pain & L-Glutamine:

Knee Pain: https://www.active.com/running/articles ... nee?page=2
Notice a lot of the exercises listed there are the exercises Javi / Kyla have us do at the end of track.

L-Glutamine: https://draxe.com/l-glutamine-benefits- ... ts-dosage/

L-G seems to:

help with "Leaky Guts", i.e. gastro health (all you celiacs), ulcers, etc.

brain health (no comments!)

Number 6 on their list is interesting, "Improves athletic performance and recovery from endurance exercise"

yadda yadda yadda
paul

Postby judi » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Paul, you did the research for us. Great!!

Sounds like a miracle amino-acid. Never heard of l-glutamine before and it turns out it is the most abundant amino acid in the body.

Are you recommending l-glutamine to Reynaldo because during stress we may not have enough in our bodies?
judi

Postby paul » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Sure?
paul

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Hello,

Thanks for that performance enhancer recommendation!

So to follow up with this issue here what I did:
- scheduled appointment at McGill Sports Clinic and diagnosis was "Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome" also known as "Runner's Knee"
- recommendation from doctor: two more weeks without running + wearing a patellar knee sleeve + ice on affected knee as much as I can
- Can cycle - as it doesn't hurt
- visit to physio

It seems I have weak muscles on the left leg, pretty visible with a simple exercise they asked me to do. So, I guess my tempo runs and interval sessions will be painful when I start running again until I reach my last "best shape".

Anyways, this is evidence of the importance of complementing running with some other workouts and foam rollers and the likes - avoid injuries with some extra work not to be OFF from some extra time! Learning the hard way.

Cheers!
Reynaldo

Return to Anything about running