Boreal Club

Anything about running

Marathon - an Adventure

Marathon - an Adventure

Postby Sheila » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:17 am

The weather looks a bit wet so far for the Cornwall marathon (Aldo correct me if I am wrong).

It might be a good idea to rest up, bring some breathable (not cotton) clothes, and also bring some "throw away" old clothes for the start.

Everyone is different and some of us might even flourish in this rainy weather. If it isn't too cold and there is a tail wind and a softer rain, I have found it can be invigorating. You never know....

I am going to think of this run as an adventure. I will take in all of the elements (not saying they will be bad) and just go with it. We do hikes and training runs etc in rain so why not a marathon. It can be fun!

Enjoy, relax and don't worry! You are amongst friends (you too Aldo) :roll: ! We can have fun together!
ShEiLa
Sheila

Re: Marathon - an Adventure

Postby spyro » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Nice thoughts and words, Sheila. Thanks.
spyro

Postby laura » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm

:shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: sure
laura

Postby PatrickL » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:20 pm

I have seen on the race website that there will be ''clothes toss'' bins for clothes at the start of the race, allowing you to put raincoats, pullovers, etc and to retrieve them at the end of the race (the bins will be transported to the finish line during the race). There will also be clothes toss bins placed at different locations on the course in case you prefer to undress progressively - what a great organization for a smaller race like this one!

Check it out: http://runtoendms.com/marathon/#m07 that's for the marathon, I don't think clothes toss bins are available in other distances.
PatrickL

Postby Aldo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:29 pm

For whatever it is worth, here is the latest forecast for Cornwall, hour by hour until race time.
(Better than it was a few days ago. Expect some light rain, particularly in the early moments of the race, but it looks OK for the rest. Light winds from the South, and from the SW as we approach Cornwall with temperatures in the 7 to 11 C range)

However, this precipitation system has not yet appeared on the map; the wind disturbance that will generate it is currently crossing Alaska and then head down towards Ontario, so there is still quite a bit of uncertainty about it.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ho ... o/cornwall

I would like to point out that since the marathon start is ~40 km "upwind" from Cornwall, and since the average speed of weather systems is also of the order of 40 km/h, then the forecast for say 8 AM Cornwall can be considered representative of the forecast at the marathon start at 7 AM, and so on.

And one more add on:

Sheila said:"I am going to think of this run as an adventure."

I think of a marathon as a movie of which you do not know the ending; some movies have a happy ending, others not so happy, and others leave you indifferent.
Which one will it be? Will Sheila pass me again at the 39 K mark as in my last marathon in Toronto? I am anxious to know the answer.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Nullius in verba" - motto of the London's Royal Society of scientists
Aldo

Postby spyro » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Some movies never end because the projector breaks down or the theatre catches on fire. Or the projectionist kills himself.
spyro

Postby Aldo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 pm

spyro wrote:Some movies never end because the projector breaks down or the theatre catches on fire.

Both of those things actually happened in "Cinema Paradiso", in my opinion, the best Italian film ever made, (and, which I know, some of you had the fortune to see, including, believe it or not, Sheila).

But, Spyro, don't be so pessimistic. A movie is not a never ending afternoon soap opera. It does finish, sooner or later.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Aldo

Postby spyro » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Yes, Cinema Paradiso. Truly great.
spyro

Postby Stephanie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Weather seems to be improving at least!!!

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/we ... o/cornwall
Stephanie

Postby Aldo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:36 am

Unfortunately not quite.

A little low is expected to form right over the Kingston-Cornwall area overnight and will follow the marathoners along the St-Lawrence Valley. :( :( :(

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ho ... o/cornwall

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weathe ... na&lang=fr

(hit the "animer" botton on the above)
Aldo

Postby Stephanie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:48 am

I know...I checked this morning and became sad. :( :( :? :?
Stephanie

Postby david » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:40 pm

How to dress!! I find it a real tough call.
david

Postby Aldo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:37 pm

If you click on this link before the end of today, marathon day April 28th, you will see that it rained the most right over the marathon course (dark green and yellow regions, 10 to 15+ mm of rain), as if the weather was doing it on purpose, while it hardly rained over the Montreal area (light blues, 1 mm or less).

http://meteocentre.com/radar/weather-ra ... r&area=mtl

Anyway, my movie did not have a happy ending. :cry:
Aldo

Postby Sheila » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 pm

Every part of my body hurts right now. Really... my headache right down to my toes (especially on my right foot. Otherwise I feel fine :? . Congrats to everyone!!! Congrats to Johanna who is our new marathoner!!

Congrats on Patrick’s Pb!
Congrats on Steph’s Pb!
Johanne was that a PB? (Congrats for not getting sick)!
Judi (Felix) you are sooooo amazing!!!
Marilyn you are a super star!!! My hero!!!
David not only did you finish but you did it with such classyin pacing with Johanna!

Aldo and Spyro it is the runs that hurt but we persevere to the finish! Way to go I feel your pain (Believe me I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

André you are so solid! I see a great half marathon in June!!!

Way to go on the half marathons as well!!!
ShEiLa
Sheila

Postby Aldo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Sheila, I am not in physical pain at all right now, but you are recently making it a habit of passing me in the latter stages of a marathon. To prevent that from happening again, I should run behind you from the very start. :idea:
Aldo

Next

Return to Anything about running