Boreal Club

Anything about running

A BQ for Patrick in the Chicago Marathon

A BQ for Patrick in the Chicago Marathon

Postby Aldo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:53 pm

Wow!! A phenomenal 3:23:31 for Patrick Lapointe in the Chicago marathon, a Boston qualifier for sure.

And an excellent 3:48:49 for Brian Price.

Congratulations to both of you !
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Nullius in verba" - motto of the London's Royal Society of scientists
Aldo

Re: A BQ for Patrick in the Chicago Marathon

Postby Marilyn Huot » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Congratulations to you both....amazing results. Marilyn
Marilyn Huot

Postby spyro » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Quite amazing! Congratulations to both!
spyro

Postby judi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 am

It must have been an awesome day for both of you, Patrick and Brian.

Congratulations on your great achievements!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
judi

Postby Sheila » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I am so happy for you both! AMAZING!!!! I think you both are just finding out the tip of the iceberg when it comes to your potential!
ShEiLa
Sheila

Postby BrianP » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks to all for the kind comments, and for the advice and inspiration before the race.

It was indeed a great day and very well organized event. :D
So many people, both running and supporting.
And the day after there were loads hobbling around in their marathon T-shirts. :lol:
BrianP

Postby PatrickL » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Thanks all! It was a great weekend in Chicago together with Brian, Johanna and my wife Johanne. And a great race indeed. I was feeling OK in the first kms so decided to push a little faster. Initially I didn’t know my exact speed because of the high buildings cutting off GPS reception. Then it started to rain quite hard and I prayed that would not last another 30km...

It just lasted about 30 minutes. Things were going well when I crossed the halfway point I must admit I sprinted for about 100m as I suddenly realized I may clock in the Half under 1:40! I think everyone around me was thinking this guy's nuts. I started telling myself ''maybe you're going too fast, you may regret this later''. Then things got a little more challenging as they usually do after 25k. My cushion started to erode slowly as I was clocking in each km at about 10 sec/km slower than my target pace. And then at km 35 I decided to give all I had left and go after that goddam BQ. These 7km were not easy, but I managed to cross the finish line exactly 89 seconds below the new Boston standard. Now I’m crossing my fingers that it'll be enough.

The hardest part: that sudden and unexpected hill just 300m before the finish line. What was that about??? I mean, Chicago is a flat course, there's just ONE hill, but why does it have to be at km 41.9??

Brian had an amazing race too and was able to shave about 10 minutes from his previous PR... Congrats that’s a huge accomplishment. We celebrated with beers, steak and decadent desserts. Until next time...

I hope to see you all soon, but maybe not this week at training. Cheers!!
PatrickL

Postby Stephanie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Wow, awesome description of your race experience and congrats again on your accomplishment!!
Stephanie

Postby Bernard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Amazing feat Patrick. Parfois la détermination est l'ingrédient qui élève une préparation rigoureuse à un autre niveau -- simplement la dureté du mental...
Bernard

Postby PatrickL » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:49 am

Merci chers Stéphanie et Bernard... vraiment tordant cette vidéo des Boys! THE MENTAL... that’s what it’s all about!
PatrickL

Postby laura » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:07 am

Bravo, les boys!
laura

Postby Sheila » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:13 am

I love your description! I really liked Chicago (for a big marathon). I had forgotten about that hill. Your description made me start thinking and the smoke around my desk set off an alarm. Then I remembered and said "oh yeah.... I remember that!" I love your determination and the post race dinner and beers must have tasted extra good!

Congrats to you both!
ShEiLa
Sheila

Return to Anything about running